Web applications in the 21st century don’t exist in a silo and need a plethora of external input to provide or augment core functionality. Most of the web applications that we have developed have some form of integration with an enterprise application through web services or some legacy API’s. Where these programs already exist, the process is sometimes realized by using middleware, either packaged by a vendor or written on a custom basis.
Over the years we have gained experience in integrating applications, a substantial body of knowledge on best practices has emerged. The following are some of the application integration best practices that we follow,
- Start Off Right in Selecting Your Integration Broker – The first step in the application integration process is selecting an integration broker. Too often, an enterprise focuses on a subset of criteria. These might include a strategic relationship with the vendor, the cost of the product, and demonstrations by well-practiced sales support engineers. A serious amount of energy is spent in this step to select the right integration broker.
- Organization Is Crucial – Having the right IS organization is more important than having the right technology. Most successful integration projects during the next five years will involve a new IS function: the central integration competency center. This unit is responsible for bringing consistency to interface development, deployment and maintenance within an enterprise. At MSC we work very closely with the IS organization to bring the necessary resources to accomplish the integration.
- Doing Data Right – Application integration is unlike application development. Instead of developing and assembling a set of components to create an application, application integration assembles independent applications to create a system. As a consequence, the specifications required are more extensive than those used in a typical software development project. MSC’s processes helps in developing the right specification in accomplishing this step.
- Pulling It All Together : Composite Application Integration – Data consistency and multistep process integration focus on creating a system of applications. Composite application integration creates an application that has an architecture that contains components whose functionality may be part of independent applications.
To find out more about our custom application development and integration services,
Data Warehousing / Analytics
Business decisions are only as good as the information on which they are based. Our Business Intelligence (BI) and Data Warehousing Solutions group ensures the availability of business-critical information. It also opens the door to competitive advantage and a host of other benefits, allowing companies to substantially enhance bottom-line profitability. Over the years of working with varied companies we have been focusing on some of the finer aspects of the data that powers the web applications that we develop.
Early on we were focusing on small scale data marts (DM) which then grew into data warehousing (DW) which then allowed us to branch into business intelligence (BI) and Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) projects. With this knowledge and experience we have helped numerous enterprises address the challenge of unlocking the enterprise data resources that enable insight into competition, market dynamics, customers, products and operations.
There are four phases in the development process of a data warehouse and quite similar to our 4D process in application development,
- Analysis – a process which is completely taken care by analysts who will be having a sound knowledge of the process to be followed. In general this phase is carried forward by concerned personnel sitting at client end.
- Design – this phase includes four tasks which are: identifying measures, identifying dimensions and their hierarchies, designing and creating physical models by defining schema of fact and dimension tables. This process is called high level design.
- Data gathering – this phase involves extracting and cleaning data to prepare it for loading into the warehouse. This phase is called low level design.
- Loading phases – this phase is to load the prepared data into the data warehouse.
- Output Reports and Dashboard – Once the data is loaded and models created dash boarding and reporting tools are used to cull meaningful data and present to the end user.
To find out more about our custom data warehousing and analytical engine development and integration services,
In order to meet the growing time constraints of "quick to market" requirements, we have adopted Rapid Application Development methodologies since our inception and have honed it to an art form over the years. In fact, we were doing rapid development well before acronyms like RAD was in vogue. When properly executed, RAD provides faster application deployment at higher quality levels. Our RAD process includes:
- Using workshops or focus groups to gather requirements
- Prototyping and user testing of designs
- Re-using software components
- Following a schedule that defers design improvements to the next product version
- Keeping review meetings and other team communication informal
To find out more about our Rapid Application Development process and tool set,
Rich Internet Application
Rich Internet Applications provide the end user with an interface that is faster and more responsive than traditional applications. Providing an unparalleled interactive web experience, Rich Internet Application Development provided enables businesses to improve productivity, utilize advanced communication systems, and provide a higher level of service to customers.
Delivering a variety of exciting features and uses, Rich Internet Applications such as videos, word processors, online games and mobile apps have been consistently gaining in popularity around the world. Rich Internet Applications developed by Multimedia Solutions offer superior accessibility, portability and scalability. With high levels of performance and reliability, the RIA we provide gives end users an optimal web experience.
We provide solutions with the best components in rich Internet technologies including:
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Adobe Air
- Adobe Flex
To find out more about our Rich Internet Application development services,